As well as the log stores, the porch for the yurt has been slowly coming together between other jobs – like harvesting peppers (green bucket), giant squashes and pine cone firelighters (orange net bag) – and I’m quite a way further on with the construction since my last post about it.
The roof, floor and one side are now complete. All that remains is to board in the other side and adjust the drainage once we get some rain to test out its watertightness.
The completed side is lined with the cork insulation we’ve used for the roof. This obviously has no value as insulation in this context, but does help to keep jackets and clothes dry when the atmosphere outside reaches dew point or we get a lot of condensation underneath the roof from opening the yurt doors when the stove is going. I used another piece of reclaimed chestnut from the original roof (cleaned, preserved and linseed-oiled), on which to fix the coat hooks.
The long white tube-like things hanging at the front of the porch are solar LED light strings (IKEA).
We also made further progress on the main log store today, starting the construction of the side and back walls. The gaps are for concrete columns which will strengthen these walls to retain the backfill that will go in behind them.
And our delivery of schist finally arrived today! So now we have all we need to finish the roof.